Sunday, September 29, 2013

First week of classes


I finally started classes this past week! I will typically have 11 hours of class a week, which is much less than I usually have at DU. My engineering course didn’t meet for the first week because the lecturer is in Singapore, so I only had Philosophy and Archeology. My Philosophy class meets 3 times a week for lecture and 1 time in smaller groups for discussion. My Archeology class meets 2 times a week, 1 time in smaller groups for seminars, and there are 2 field trips as well!

The Sunday before classes started I went to the Riverside Museum with Joe. The museum won the European Museum of the Year for 2013. It was a neat museum that had lots of artifacts from Scotland all related to transportation. 



  

On Tuesday, I went to the Partick Trinity Church for a Ceilidh and BBQ. There I met some fellow Americans that were in their late 20’s from Florida. It was a really fun event and everyone at the church was extremely welcoming. We already got invited back for a Thanksgiving dinner! The rest of my week I tried to recover from being sick, again. I have obtained “freshers flu”, but it’s only a cold and cough. My Latvian flat mate told me I keep getting sick because I don’t wear socks when I am in the flat.... Yesterday was Megan’s 21st birthday, so I went out to lunch with her and Shannon in the city centre and then had a small birthday party in our flat. We also went to “The Barras” which was supposed to be a bargain market with lots of good deals on just about everything. It was in a sketchier area and we didn’t find it to be too great. I did try a deep fried Mars bar however and it was surprisingly good! 


Shannon and Megan enjoying doughnuts at the Barras.

Deep fried Mars bar! 1/3 of the bar was plenty...

 Last week I went to an "American" party put on by on of the two student unions on campus. At the event they were selling hot dogs, had a mechanical bull, and American flags hung up. It was strange...

No comments:

Post a Comment