Friday, September 20, 2013

Week 1

Sorry about the delay... I had some problems posting because of the internet. I originally intended on posting this on Monday.

Campus is in the background.

I had International Orientation this past week which included figuring out all of my classes and more about the University. If everything works out I will be taking Archeology of Scotland, Philosophy, and Mechanics of Materials and Structures 3. I did have an option to take a bagpipe class but I get light headed blowing up balloons so I figured passing out in class would not be the best. I am becoming more familiar with where I am living and the 1 mile walk to campus. On Thursday I went to my first Ceilidh, a traditional Gaelic social gathering. I participated in lots of dancing, it was tiring but thankfully they had food too!

View of the River Kelvin on my way to campus.

I got a little lost trying to find my flat the first time and found a Curves!
Instructions that came with my phone on how to make fake calls, "you can simulate an incoming call when you want to get out of meetings or unwanted conversations".



Blackberry Cider
 
On Thursday I also went on a bus tour of the city that the University provided. This was a great way to see more of the city that I can not easily walk to.
Clydesdale horse in the park
Large turf chairs outside the Riverside Museum.
A friend of mine, Joe, who I know from DU will be studying abroad at Lancaster University in England. We had previously bought tickets to see one of our favorite Seattle artists, Macklemore. Unfourtunately Joe’s flight got delayed and he missed the concert : ( I invited my friend Shannon to come along with myself and another DU friend, it was a great concert. I found it interesting how Macklemore referenced things like the SAT and Honda Civics which I am guessing most people in Scotland aren't familiar with, however they still clearly loved his music.



Earlier that day I attended the school sponsored tour to Dumbarton Castle and Loch Lomond. Dumbarton Castle is a 30 min drive from Glasgow. The 1,500 year old castle is situated on a volcanic rock where the River Clyde meets the River Leven, which is called the Firth of Clyde. The castle was used to guard this meeting point.
View from Dumbarton Castle


Gumby in a cannon.


Claw game that had Furby's!



Cool owl rocks.
After Dumbarton Castle we went to Scotland’s first National Park, Trossachs National Park, established in 2002. This park is known as “the Gateway to The Highlands”. Loch Lomond is located in the park the largest loch in the UK. Many people spend time on the loch in the summer when the weather is a little nicer....We went on a 1 hour cruise around the loch, it was nice but a little cold. From the loch you could see Ben Lomond, which stands at 3192 feet. Any mountain over 3000 feet is called a Munro.



On Saturday I explored the City Centre with my flatmate Megan and my friend Shannon. There are lots of shops, street musicians, and tons of people. We took the Subway for the first time which is fairly simple since it goes in a circle and only has two tracks. I purchased Baked Apple tea at a store called Whittard, it tastes like an apple pie! Afterward we walked through the Botanical Gardens that are very close to my flat. It was a nice day out so there were lots of people outside in the gardens! 


My cold is finally gone and I am feeling much better! This week I am finishing registering for classes and headed on a 3 day tour of the Highlands with Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment